Tuesday 7 January 2014

The Quest


The Quest

In my search for spiritual/philosophical enlightenment, I was hungry for discourse.  I enjoyed those brief moments where I had opportunity to discuss a probing question and maybe get a little closer to those hidden truths.  But I also found that when I had opportunity to bring questions to the table, I was completely dry and void of any.  Somehow I knew that dialogue will bring us closer to our spiritual aims, but I didn't know how to start, I didn't know how to seek.  I was content with the answers I had and so poor on the question front.  

Richard Rohr, a Franciscan friar, reminds us in his daily meditation the value of 'quest'.  That is, the process of asking questions, seeking deeper insights and understandings, engaging in discourse to emerge the truth.  He points out that this tradition of discourse has been replaced by the ego's need to have all the answers and therefore we have lost that powerful tradition.  

I appreciate his reminder and understand better why I lack that questioning spirit - I just wasn't taught that way, I was taught to have all the answers!  So Fr. Richard gives me something to think about - what are the big questions, the important questions, the questions that are going to lead to spiritual insights.  And with these questions I can keep the mind busy on spiritual attainments rather than waste thoughts.

Om Shanti.

Thank you for reading. For more information on Raja Yoga philosophy see www.brahmakumaris.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment